Hello out there!
USDA relies on Extension to do some initial surveys to assess the level of damage following storms such as Irma.
So far via two days of site visits here’s what I see:
· Most people have some level of wind damage to trees and more severe damage seems to appear more concentrated in some areas than others. Bartow had many large trees down.
· Blueberries seemed to have made it through O.K., although some were tore up and there is flooding in pockets. Fortunately fruit and blossom damage is not an issue at this time.
· Reports of limited building damage and down fences.
· One report each of-
o Losing fish due to inability to run all the pumps and aerators at the same time
o Hives destroyed
· Agricultural Chemicals in need of hazardous waste pickup. Operation Clean Sweep is a Statewide program run through FDACS. The program may be able to schedule a collection site, but regular collections are not scheduled again until November. See more about Clean Sweep here- http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/quick_topics/publications/shw/cleansweep-pesticides/Cleansweep-Flyer_2016-17.pdf Note this is not for household waste.
· See more about disposal of household hazardous waste here. https://www.polk-county.net/waste-and-recycling/Household-Hazardous-Waste-Collection-Facility/
Let me know about your needs:
· Please let me know how you fared to be included in the initial report- particularly looking for more input on bees.
· If you are in need of pesticide collection from your farm or pest control business we may be able to work out a collection date with FDACS sooner than their scheduled time frame which would not be until November.
Mary Beth Henry
Extension Agent II, UF/IFAS Extension Polk County
UF/IFAS Small Farms Program Co-Leader and Pesticide Training
Office: (863) 519-1049; Fax: (863) 534-0001
1702 Hwy 17 S., PO Box 9005, Drawer HS03, Bartow, FL 33831-9005
Rescheduled: Bartow, Florida, USDA Farm Bill Programs Meeting
USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the Polk Soil and Water Conservation District working group will discuss resource conservation concerns and NRCS programs Oct. 3, 10-11 a.m. with local farmers, ranchers and forestland owners. Location: Polk County Cooperative Extension Service Office-Brenneman Auditorium, 1702 Hwy 17 South (Spessard Holland Parkway) Bartow, FL 33830. Contact: Ed Sheehan
Public Affairs Florida