Web links to stories issued January 14-18, 2013 ___________________________________________
ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
January 18, 2013
Protecting citrus from disease:
Amino acids in orange juice might reveal secrets to the successful attack strategy of the plant pathogen that causes citrus greening disease, also known as Huanglongbing or HLB, according to studies by USDA scientists and cooperators. (1/14) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130114.htm
Biodegradable plastic developed:
USDA scientists and university cooperators have developed a biodegradable plastic that could be used in disposable food containers. To make the plastic, scientists incorporated biodegradable sugar beet pulp, which is the leftover residue from sugar extraction, with a biodegradable polymer. (1/16) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130116.htm
Trapping stink bugs:
Baited black traps in a pyramid shape attract significantly more brown marmorated stink bugs than other traps, according to USDA scientists. Evaluating stink bug responses to different visual stimuli may help manufacturers design better traps for monitoring the bugs. (1/18) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130118.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as email@example.com.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486