ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
February 1, 2013
With hot air treatment, bacteria fly the coop:
Poultry producers can reduce bacterial cross-contamination in poultry cages by treating the cages with forced air that's been heated to 122 degrees Fahrenheit, according to a study by USDA scientists. (1/28) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130128.htm
ARS Food and Nutrition Research Briefs issued:
Technology that will allow better evaluation of pork tenderness and color stability in beef and pork is among the new nutrition and health findings noted in the latest issue of the ARS Food and Nutrition Research Briefs. (1/29) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130129.htm
Corn cobs eyed for bioenergy production:
Corn crop residues are often left on harvested fields to protect soil quality, but they could become an important raw material in cellulosic ethanol production. USDA research indicates that soil quality would not decline if post-harvest corn cob residues were removed from fields. (1/31) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130131.htm
A gift of dogwoods to Japan:
Visitors to Tokyo, Japan, will have a chance to see first-hand the beauty of flowering dogwood trees, thanks in part to USDA scientists who helped select specific dogwoods best suited to the Japanese climate. (2/1) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130201.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486