USDA Agricultural Research Service
June 17, 2011
Safeguarding wheat, barley:
USDA and the U.S. Agency for International Development broke ground on a state-of-the-art greenhouse that will play a key role in helping scientists combat a growing global disease threat to the world's wheat and barley supplies. (6/13) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110613.htm
Keeping salad mixes safe:
ARS food safety researchers are pitching in to help keep salad mixes safe to eat. Innovative studies are providing new information about the impressive array of genes that a major foodborne pathogen calls into action when attempting to colonize leaves of fresh-cut lettuce. (6/14) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110614.htm
ARS scientists, staff honored:
ARS molecular geneticist Sarah Hake has been named "Distinguished Senior Research Scientist of 2010" by ARS for her scientific leadership, research and seminal discoveries in plant biology that have had a major impact on plant developmental genetics. She and other ARS researchers and support staff were honored at the agency's awards ceremony. (6/15) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110615.htm
The rise of the blueberry:
The National Agricultural Library now features the papers of a USDA plant scientist who helped transform the blueberry into a domesticated crop early in the 20th century. (6/16) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110616.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486