ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
January 31, 2014
Conserving genetic diversity:
A first-of-its-kind inventory for wild and weedy relatives of important crops has been developed by USDA scientists and their collaborators. The inventory will help conserve these so-called "crop wild relatives" and ensure their availability as prized sources of genetic diversity. (1/27) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2014/140127.htm
Feeding vaccines to chicks:
An alternate vaccine delivery system for newborn chicks has been developed by USDA scientists to improve vaccination against intestinal diseases like coccidiosis. (1/28) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2014/140128.htm
Examining pear storage:
Fresh Anjou pears, harvested in late summer, will usually be available in supermarket produce departments through early spring of the following year. That's partly due to long-term-storage technologies that help postpone ripening. Now USDA researchers are tackling some of the problems that may affect this popular pear while in refrigerated, low-oxygen storage. (1/30) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2014/140130.htm
New nutrition research findings available:
Eating breakfast, or skipping it, may significantly influence a child's ability to solve math problems. This is among the new nutrition and health findings noted in the most recent issue of the ARS Food and Nutrition Research Briefs. (1/31) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2014/140131.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as email@example.com.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486