This blog is for Polk County Florida small farms and pesticide applicators as a method of communication and sharing information. This blog is administered by the University of Florida IFAS Extension Polk County Extension Agent, Mary Beth Henry.
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
The Cultivator Newsletter - August 2016
Connecting farmers and food system innovators across Florida
Published Monthly by the UF/IFAS Small Farms and Alternative Enterprises Extension Team
Issue No. 11
High Tunnel Exclusion Systems for Improved Pest Management
The installation of high tunnel exclusion systems has resulted in dramatic reductions of leaffooted bugs, armyworm moth and other important insect pests numbers. Learn about this technique to improve pest management. Read More!
Vegetable Grafting for Improved Disease Resistance/Tolerance
Vegetable grafting has been used on tomatoes, watermelon and melons. Research from UF/IFAS has shown that grafting can help to manage soil diseases such as fusarium wilt, southern blight, verticilium wilt and root knot nematodes.- Read More!
- 2016 FAMU Grape Harvest Festival August 27 from 8:00am-4:00pm, Tallahassee More information and registration here
- Soil Health and Quality Workshop August 31 from 9:00am-4:00pm, Quincy RSVP by calling 850-599-3546
- Panhandle Fruit & Vegetable Conference October 11, 2016, Jackson County Registration and more information here
Send us your events to share!!!
- Mind Your Business: Hydroponics for Profit Workshop September 14 from 8:30am-3:30pm, Live Oak Registration and more information here
- Sustainable Agriculture Network Kickoff Meeting & Tour of Frog Song Organics September 19 from 3:30pm-8:30 pm Registration and more information here
Send us your events to share!!!
- Urban Farms & Value Added Marketing Workshop August 27 from 1:00pm-4:00pm, Orlando For more information and registration here
- 2016 Florida Local Food Summit September 8-10, Orlando, FL For more information and registration here
- Florida Food Policy Council Meeting September 11 from 12:00pm-5:00pm For more information and registration here
- Renewable Energy from Organics Recycling Conference October 17-20, Orlando For more information and registration here
- HACCP for Florida Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Packinghouses October 19-20, Orlando, FL More information and registration here
South Central Florida
- SW FL Small Farmers Network Meeting August 22 from 9:30am-3:00pm, Wimauma, FL More information and registration here
- Canning Under the Cottage Law November 4 from 9:00am-1:00pm, Bartow More information and registration here
Events Outside FL
- 9th Annual Small Ruminant Conference August 26-27, Orange Beach, AL To register call Maria Browning at 256-372-4954
- Building Your Own Farm's Food Safety Manual August 23 from 8:00am-5:00pm, Cocoa, FL More information and registration here - FSPCA Training - to become "Preventative Controls Qualified Individual" for Food Safety September 7 -9, Fort Pierce More information and registration here
- Treasure Coast Small Farms and Alternative Enterprises Conference November 1-2, Fort Pierce More information here.
News and Announcements
- NRCS offers assistance to help Florida farmers and ranchers to conserve natural resources. Application deadline October 21. More here
- UF/IFAS scientists find top 10 muscadine grape varieties for health, taste and smell. More here