Web links to stories issued August 1-5, 2011 ___________________________________________
ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
August 5, 2011
Quicker freeze-dried fish:
A quicker freeze-dry technique used to process salmon cubes could potentially be applied to add value to meat components considered to be less appealing, according to a USDA researcher. (8/1) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110801.htm
Detergent-like compounds called saponins are best known for their cleansing properties, but USDA scientists are studying these compounds' potential for helping protect plants from insect attack. (8/2) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110802.htm
Rangelands and climate change:
Rising carbon dioxide levels can reverse the drying effects of predicted higher temperatures on semi-arid rangelands, according to a study published today by a team of USDA and university scientists. (8/3) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110803.htm
Food aid product developed:
USDA scientists have developed a fully cooked food-aid product called Instant Corn Soy Blend that supplements meals, particularly for young children. (8/4) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110804.htm
Blowing in the wind:
A USDA scientist and his research partners have combined models of wind erosion and regional climate patterns to simulate the sources and dispersion of particulate matter-such as tiny bits of soil and other substances-blowing in dust storms around Mexico City. (8/5) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110805.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486