Web links to stories issued August 15-19, 2011 ___________________________________________
ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
August 19, 2011
Boosting corn production:
USDA scientists are studying soil moisture levels and other field dynamics to help Pacific Northwest farmers maximize the production of corn, a relatively new regional crop that helps support Idaho's growing dairy industry. (8/15) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110815.htm
Fighting plant pests:
Anthocyanins, healthful chemical compounds in the form of plant pigments, are being investigated by USDA scientists for their pest-fighting potential. (8/16) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110816.htm
Grading ethanol potential:
USDA researchers have developed an inexpensive way to grade the ethanol potential of perennial grasses at the biorefinery's loading dock. (8/18) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110818.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as email@example.com.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486