Florida Organic Growers in South Florida
FOG is organizing three different events in South Florida that you don’t want to miss!
See details below and attached.
1. Free Farmer Organic Workshop on October 11, 2012 at LNB Groves and Bee Heaven Organic Farm in Homestead, FL.
2. Producer Town Hall Meeting in Homestead, Florida; October 12, 2012; 1:00 - 5:00 PM at Miami-Dade County Extension Building
3. Grow Fest, a FOG’s fundraising event on October 13 and 14 at the Redland Fruit and Space Park. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/275648
2013 Southern SARE Travel Scholarships are now available!
Each year Southern SARE provides travel scholarships to mentor farmers, Extension faculty, and NGO representatives who are in a position to train farmers. Scholarships are available for individuals interested in attending a conference related to sustainable agriculture that takes place before April 30, 2013. The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group Conference will be held in Little Rock, AK from January 23-26, 2013. Scholarships may be used for this conference, or another conference related to sustainable agriculture of your choice. Examples include: EcoFarm Conference, Farming for Profit and Stewardship, or ACRES USA. Please see the attached application for details on how to apply. Applications are due October 12, 2012.
The Voice of Eco-Agriculture
Freelance journalist/photographer, Eric Dusenbery, is looking for interesting stories related to sustainable agriculture. Eric frequently contributes to a semi-regular column in The Voice of Eco-Agriculture, a magazine devoted to sustainable agriculture and food production. He is also working on a documentary book project called “Back Roads to Back Home: Finding the Voices of the Sunshine State”. If you have an interesting story to offer Eric please contact him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date! –Agritunity 2013 Conference and Trade Show
Don’t miss the opportunity to participate in the 7th year of this conference and trade show. The event will be held Saturday, January 26, 2013 at the Sumter County Fairgrounds in Bushnell, Florida. Exhibitor registration is currently open. Last year the event hosted around 350 participants from the Central Florida region. These are individuals from local farms, ranches, and those interested in supporting agriculture, or starting an agricultural enterprise. The trade show offers exhibitors an indoor climate controlled space and/or an outdoor exhibit space, or barn exhibit space is available. If you are interested in participating as an exhibitor you can register online at http://agritunity2013exhibitor.eventbrite.com. Questions? Call Cami Esmel or Susan Kelly at (352)793-2728.
Congratulations SARE Graduate Student Grant Recipients!
Two graduate students from the University of Florida were selected as Southern SARE Graduate Student Grant recipients.
· Lindsy Iglesias is a Masters student in the Interdisciplinary Ecology program conducting her research under Dr. Oscar Liburd in the Entomology Department. Her project is entitled, “Developing an Integrated Pest Management Program for a Newly Introduced Pest in Florida Blueberries: The Spotted Wing Drosophila, Drosophila Suzukii”. Contact Lindsy for more information at email@example.com.
· Julius Adewopo is a PhD student in the Soil and Water Sciences department conducting his research under Dr. Maria Silveira. His project is entitled, “Assessment of Long-Term Management Impact on Soil C Dynamics in Subtropical Grasslands”. Contact Julius for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations to you both!
Center for Sustainable and Organic Food Systems
Program Assistant, Florida SARE Program, UF/FAMU
3031 Mc Carty Hall D, PO Box 110310, Gainesville, FL 32611
Ph:(352)273-3508; Fax: (352)392-8196
NOTE: My schedule is Tuesday through Friday for the duration of the fall semester. I will not be responding to email on Mondays.