Web links to stories issued May 9-13, 2011 ___________________________________________
ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
May 13, 2011
Protecting wheat and poplars:
An international team of researchers co-led by an ARS scientist has sequenced the genomes of two fungal pathogens-one that threatens global wheat supplies and another that limits production of a tree crop valued as a future source for biofuel. (5/9) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110509.htm
Scrutinizing fresh produce:
ARS scientists have developed and patented an experimental, cutting-edge optical scanning system that would use two different kinds of lighting, a sophisticated camera and other pieces of equipment to scrutinize produce-section favorites while they are still at the packinghouse. (5/10) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110510.htm
Monitoring crop growth:
An ARS scientist has developed computer software that tells Central Great Plains farmers and ranchers when to apply pesticides, fertilizers and water. (5/12) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110512.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as firstname.lastname@example.org.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to email@example.com.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486