Web links to stories issued May 23-27, 2011
ARS News Service
USDA Agricultural Research Service
May 27, 2011
Survey reports on bee losses during the 2010/2011 winter:
Total losses from managed honey bee colonies nationwide were 30 percent from all causes for the 2010/2011 winter, according to the annual survey conducted by ARS and the Apiary Inspectors of America. (5/23) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110523.htm
Why keeping dairy cows outside the barn is better for the environment:
Computer simulation studies by ARS scientists suggest that a dairy cow living year-round in the great outdoors may leave a markedly smaller ecological hoofprint than her more sheltered sisters. (5/24) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110524.htm
Pinpointing why blueberries burst:
ARS researchers and a university colleague have identified several factors that play a role in blueberry splitting, a significant problem that can cause losses of $300 to $500 per acre. (5/26) http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2011/110526.htm
Newslink is the weekly e-mail pointer for web links to stories issued by the Agricultural Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
* Send feedback and questions to the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov
* You are subscribed to "Newslink" as email@example.com.
* To change the address, please notify the ARS News Service at NewsService@ars.usda.gov.
* To unsubscribe, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Other ARS news products are available by e-mail. For details about them or to subscribe, please contact the ARS News Service or visit http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/lists.htm.
ARS News Service, Information Staff, Agricultural Research Service
5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD 20705-5128 NewsService@ars.usda.gov | www.ars.usda.gov/news Phone (301) 504-1636 | fax (301) 504-1486