October is National Cooperative Month!
USDA’s Rural Business-Cooperative Service has organized a number of events to both celebrate the cooperative movement and to raise awareness of their importance. Please see attached the Co-op Month Event Calendar (http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/RD-CoopEventCalendarOct2016.pdf)
and a listing of webinars we are hosting this month.
The theme for the third week of Co-op Month is Local Food and Community Development and while all our webinars during this month are going to be amazing, I wanted to highlight two during this week.
· Tue Oct 18th 2 pm EST – When the Last Grocery Store Closes – Exploring Cooperative Options https://cc.readytalk.com/r/v92f7ysqo9k0&eom
· Wed Oct 19th 2 pm EST – Farm to School and the Role of Cooperatives: Producer and Buyer Perspectives https://cc.readytalk.com/r/jlm99m0d6tul&eom
So, mark your calendars and check out the attachments for more information.
We have also launched a social media campaign to highlight our co-op stories. To participate:
1. Download and print the “My Co-Op Story” template.
2. Write your cooperative story in the blank space.
3. Take a picture of yourself holding the “My Co-Op Story” sign.
4. Share your photo and story with @usdaRD on Twitter and use the #IHeartCoops.
So please join us for these events, share with your networks, and help us build awareness about the ways cooperatives empower our lives.
Thanks for your partnership and we’ll see you during Co-op Month!
James Barham, PhD | Agricultural Economist – Food Systems Specialist
USDA Rural Development | Rural Business-Cooperative Service
James.Barham@wdc.usda.gov | 202-690-1411
www.rd.usda.gov | “Committed to the future of rural communities”