Please join us for this upcoming growers meeting. Please RSVP to Crystal via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (941)722-4524 by April 25. CCA credits pending.
Vegetable Cost Share and Water/Nutrient Management Workshop
Where: UF/GCREC Balm, FL
When: April 28 at 1:00pm-4:00pm
1:00 PM - Introductions and welcome, Crystal Snodgrass
1:10 PM- Jessica McCoy Stempien, FDACS. Description of BMP enrollment, NOIs, record keeping, and cost share programs.
1:30 PM - Alicia Whidden and Crystal Snodgrass, Field tissue testing practices and effect on crop production.
1:50 PM - Kelly Morgan, Factors to consider when managing water and nutrients in the soil.
- Soil water retention factors
- Nutrient availability
- How soils impact production practices
- Potential for improved yields
2:35 PM – Kelly Morgan, Soil water relationships and irrigation scheduling in sandy soils.
- Soil water relationships (field capacity, wilting point, plant available water)
- Crop water requirement (ET)
- Examples of Irrigation Scheduling
3:05 PM – Monica Ozores-Hampton, What is soil quality and how can be change in Florida sandy soils.
- What are soil quality and their principles?
- How can we increase soil quality in crop production: compost, cover crops and surfactants, etc.
- Assessing the impact of soil quality in growers profits
2:20 PM – Kelly Morgan, UF/IFAS, UF/IFAS/SWFREC. Basics of soil testing and interpretation and changes from Mehlich 1 to Mehlich 3.
3:35PM - Jeff Ullman, Water quality risk factors associated with irrigation and fertilization strategies.
3:55 Questions, evaluations, adjourn